Week in Review
Sikkim: Names of five government senior secondary changed
On September 16, 2021, Government of Sikkim through notification informed that names of five schools the following schools are renamed with immediate effect. The school’s name are as follows:
- Government Senior Secondary schools, Darap, West Sikkim renamed as Damber Singh Limboo memorial Senior Secondary School, West Sikkim.
- Government Senior Secondary School, Tarpin, Rhenock, East Sikkim renamed as Ratna Bahadur Gurung Senior Secondary School, Rhenock, East Sikkim.
- Mangalbarey Senior Secondary School, West Sikkim renamed as Lt. Kazi S.L. Dawa Gyatso Senior Secondary School, West Sikkim.
- Government Secondary School, Lachen, North Sikkim renamed as Lt. Lopen Thisung Tshering Lepchenpa Secondary School, North Sikkim.
- Government Senior Secondary School, Chujachen East Sikkim renamed as Lt. Chandralal Sharma Government Senior Secondary School, East Sikkim.
Speaking with Sikkim Chronicle, Education Secretary Anil Raj Rai stated that the changing of the name is an initiative taken by the government.
There have been changes of name of schools and colleges in the recent years such as Sikkim Government college Tadong East Sikkim renamed as Nar Bahadur Bhandari college.
Report by Sheetel Kharka