With the announcement of Schedule for General Election to the 17th Lok Sabha and the Legislative Assemblies including Sikkim ,the Model Code of Conduct for guidance for Political parties and Candidates have come into force w.e.f 10th March 2019.
The Chief Secretary of Sikkim held a meeting with all HODs and briefed them on enforcement of Model Code of Conduct and guidelines to be adhered by all Government Department and authorities.
The following instructions have been reiterated through Home Department Circular dated 11th March 2019:
- Conduct of Government Servant:-No Government servant shall take part in party politics such as public meeting, campaigns, rallies etc and they will act in neutral manner in respect of political party.
- Use Govt. Vehicles:- There is a total ban on use of official vehicles for touring in districts by any political party, candidate or any person connected with election except officials performing election related duty. The ban is applicable to Government vehicles, Public Sector Undertakings, Cooperative Societies etc.
- Discretionary Funds: All spending from the discretionary fund is stopped immediately
- Leave and transfer of government servants: leave of Government servants related to Elections to be avoided. Ban on transfer, appointment or promotion of all employees of government and Public undertakings.
- The MCC prohibits any party or candidate from making use of any Government accommodation including office premises for the purpose of election propaganda
- Schemes undertaken for tackling emergencies related to natural disasters should be done after prior approval of Commission.
- Prohibition of announcement of new projects, programmes, new sanctions and concession of financial grants in any form. No work shall start in respect of which even if the work orders have been issued before the Model Code of Conduct came into effect, if the work has actually not started in the field.
Also instruction has been received for removal of all unauthorized political advertisement, all wall writings, posters, defacement in any other forms on Government property, public property and in public spaces. Further, no advertisement shall be issued in electronic and print media highlighting the achievements of the Government at the cost of public exchequer. All photographs of political functionary from official website have to be removed. Direction has been issued to all concerned departments to furnish a list of work which has already started on the ground and list of fresh work which has not started on the ground for development construction related activities to the office of the CEO/ DEO within 72 hours of date of announcement of the Elections.